XENICAL contains the active ingredient orlistat. XENICAL is used to assist with losing weight, maintaining a certain weight and preventing weight regain in adults with an initial body mass index (BMI) of 30 or more. XENICAL belongs to a group of medicines called lipase inhibitors. These medicines work by preventing the absorption of dietary fat in your body rather than by suppressing your appetite.
As a nation, New Zealanders are eating too much fat and approximately 54% of us are overweight and 10% of us are obese. Obesity is a major risk factor for a number of chronic diseases including diabetes and high blood pressure, amongst others. We're on average heavier than we were just a decade ago and diet and a lack of exercise are the main culprits. XENICAL from Roche Products is a revolutionary new product that reduces the amount of fat you absorb from each meal by about 30%. It is only available with a doctors prescription and together with a managed and well planned diet and exercise programme looks to have a bright future.
XENICAL is a weight control medication for the management of significant obesity. XENICAL targets the absorption of fat in your body rather than suppressing your appetite. Dietary fats are large molecules which need to be broken down by enzymes called lipases before they can be absorbed into the body. When taken with a meal, XENICAL interferes with the activity of these enzymes. This allows about 30% of the fat eaten in the meal to pass through the gut undigested. Your body therefore cannot convert these excess calories to fatty tissue or use them as a source of energy. This will therefore help you to reduce your weight, maintain your lower weight and minimise any weight regain. XENICAL is a prescription weight-control medication useful for the long-term treatment of significant obesity. XENICAL can also help to improve risk factors, such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol and high blood sugar which, if not treated, could lead to other diseases such as hypertension and diabetes.
- Plan your meals - aim for less than 40 to 50 grams of fat per day and choose a well-balanced diet with plenty of vegetables, fruit, wholegrains (pasta, rice, breads and cereals). Fish, skinned poultry and lean low fat meats.
- If you can't get by without a snack, try a piece of fresh fruit or a muesli bar.
- Alcohol stimulates the storage of fat and is also high in calories.
- Eat at least three well planned meals every day including breakfast.
- Drink plenty of water - 5 or more glasses daily.
- A low fat soup or salad at the beginning of a meal will fill you up.
- Watch how much you eat and avoid second portions! It takes time for your brain to recognise that your stomach is full.
- Eat slowly - don't rush your food.
Increased physical activity is an important component of losing weight. Stop thinking about exercise and start thinking about being active. Try these ideas:
- Get out of your chair and go for a walk for ten minutes - do that two or three times a day.
- Take the stairs instead of the lift.
- Go for a walk for 20 minutes, do some gardening or something enjoyable which involves physical activity every day.
- Start at a level you can manage and build up your level of physical activity over time.
Being physically active will help increase energy and reduce weight. As your weight is reduced it's easier and more fun to be active.
Follow the directions for using this medicine provided by your doctor, otherwise you will not fully benefit from XENICAL.
The recommended dose of XENICAL is one 120 mg capsule swallowed with a glass of water, taken with each of the three main meals per day. It can be taken during the meal or up to one hour after the meal is consumed.
XENICAL should be taken with a well-balanced, calorie controlled diet that is rich in fruit and vegetables and contains an average of 30% of the calories from fat. Your daily intake of fat, carbohydrate and protein should be distributed over three meals. This means you will usually take one capsule at breakfast time, one capsule at lunch time and one capsule at dinner time. To gain optimal benefit, avoid the intake of food containing fat between meals, such as biscuits, chocolate and savoury snacks.
XENICAL only works in the presence of dietary fat. If you miss a main meal or if you have a meal containing no fat, you do not need to take that particular dose of XENICAL . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have not taken your medicine exactly as prescribed. Otherwise, your doctor may think that it was not effective or well tolerated and may change your treatment unnecessarily.
Each capsule contains 120 mg of the active substance orlistat.
The capsule also contains the additional substances microcrystalline cellulose, sodium starch glycollate, povidone, sodium lauryl sulphate and talc. The capsule shell consists of gelatine, indigo carmine (E132) and titanium dioxide (E171).
You should not take XENICAL if you are allergic to orlistat or to any of the other substances the capsule contains.
For further information
General Safety Information
- Always read the label. Use only as directed.
- Nutritional supplements may only be of assistance if the dietary intake is inadequate.
- Supplements should not be used to replace a healthy balanced diet and adequate physical exercise.
- Keep all medications and supplements out of reach of children.
- If symptoms persist see your healthcare professional.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.