- Prescription Medicine
Please note: THIS IS A PRESCRIPTION MEDICINE (see Prescription Medicine Tab above for ordering and fulfillment process).
Wake up to life.
Modavigil is fully funded for the treatment of NARCOLEPSY.
What is Narcolepsy?
Narcolepsy is a chronic sleep disorder with no known cause. The main characteristic of narcolepsy is excessive and overwhelming daytime sleepiness, even after adequate nighttime sleep.
People with narcolepsy feel sleepy nearly all the time, and cannot resist going to sleep for a few minutes or up to an hour several times during the day. This abnormal propensity to sleep is referred to as Excessive Daytime Sleepiness by physicians.
Three classic symptoms of narcolepsy, which may not occur in all patients, are:
Cataplexy, which is unique to narcolepsy affects about 9 out of 10 people. Cataplexy is sudden muscle weakness that can range from drooping of the head and face to complete collapse. It is usually triggered by strong emotions, such as laughter, anger, surprise or fear, or by strenuous exercise.
Hypnogogic Hallucinations are intense, vivid dreams, which are often accompanied by frightening auditory, visual and tactile sensations, usually occurring as one is awakening or going to sleep. They are difficult to distinguish from reality.
Sleep Paralysis is the inability to move when awakening or going to sleep. This may be brief, but can also last for several minutes. Multiple attacks may occur. This can be terrifying, especially when occurring with a frightening hypnogogic hallucination. Are there any other common sleep disorders? There are other sleep disorders that make it hard for people to sleep soundly at night – or stay awake during the day.
- Sleep apnoea – when a person stops breathing and then starts again many times a night.
- Chronic insomnia – when a person has trouble falling asleep or staying asleep night after night.
- Restless legs syndrome (RLS) – when a person loses sleep because of a restless feeling in the legs.
Other sleep disorders that cause excessive daytime sleepiness are not eligible for funding so you will need to pay for your medication.
How is Narcolepsy diagnosed?
Narcolepsy is usually diagnosed from symptoms of excessive daytime sleepiness, cataplexy and nighttime sleep disturbances, which can be confirmed by tests carried out in a sleep laboratory. Two tests that are commonly used in diagnosing narcolepsy are the polysomnogram and the multiple sleep latency test. These tests are usually performed by a sleep specialist.
How is Narcolepsy treated?
Although there is no cure for narcolepsy, treatment options are available to help reduce the various symptoms. One of these treatments is MODAVIGIL.
What is Modavigil?
Modavigil is a prescription medicine and is a unique wake-promoting agent for the treatment of excessive daytime sleepiness (commonly called “EDS”) associated with narcolepsy. Modavigil is used to improve wakefulness and has been proven to help patients remain alert and awake during the day and allows them to better participate in daily activities.
How long does it take for Modavigil to work?
Modavigil will begin working within a few hours, increasing your wakefulness. Studies show that taking Modavigil in the morning can help keep you awake throughout the day. Modavigil does not interfere with nighttime sleep when taken as directed.
Can Modavigil cause side effects?
Modavigil is generally well tolerated. However, Modavigil can cause side effects in some people. When side effects do occur with Modavigil they are generally mild and manageable in nature. Headache is the most frequently reported side effect. Other side effects reported were nausea, nervousness, anxiety and insomnia (unable to sleep at night). All medicines have risks and benefits and if you have any concerns or experience any side effects talk to your doctor.
How do I take Modavigil?
It is important that you take Modavigil as directed by your doctor. Your doctor will tell you how much you should take, when and how often. Follow your doctor’s instructions. If you are unsure ask your doctor or pharmacist. Each Modavigil tablet contains 100mg of modafinil. The dose ranges from 200mg to 400mg a day. You should not take your Modavigil tablets later than midday or you may have trouble sleeping at night. VERY IMPORTANT: Modavigil may “interact” with other medications, and can affect the way other drugs work. Make sure your doctor is aware of any other medication you’re taking, or are considering taking, before you start your therapy with Modavigil.
How much does Modavigil cost?
From 1st May 2011 MODAVIGIL is fully funded under Special Authority for anyone who meets the funding criteria. You need to make an appointment with your Neurologist or Respiratory Specialist to see if you qualify. Your doctor will then determine whether you meet the special criteria and if Modavigil is right for you. All you’ll pay are normal doctor’s fees and pharmacy charges.
More Information of Modavigil
General Safety Information
- Always read the label. Use only as directed.
- Nutritional supplements may only be of assistance if the dietary intake is inadequate.
- Supplements should not be used to replace a healthy balanced diet and adequate physical exercise.
- Keep all medications and supplements out of reach of children.
- If symptoms persist see your healthcare professional.
Please Note: If the Item you are viewing IS a Prescription Medicine the NZ regulations require that we need the original prescription before we can dispense any prescription medication. The prescription must be written by a New Zealand doctor registered with the New Zealand Medical Council.
How do you know if this product is a Prescription Medicine?
The first line of the product description will identify 'THIS IS A PRESCRIPTION MEDICINE' If the product does not have this identifier then it is not a prescription medicine and can be purchased without a prescription. A list of prescription medicines can also be found lower down on this page.
Prescription orders will be cancelled automatically if no prescription is received from the purchaser within 7 days.
TO FULFILL YOUR PRESCRIPTION FOLLOW THE PROCEDURE BELOW:
- Step 1: purchase your Prescription Medicine via this Netpharmacy Shop. (See Below for our list of Prescription Medicine).
- Step 2: to complete the checkout process you will be required to complete the prescription form (found on the checkout page) including uploading a photo of your prescription.
- Step 3: once the prescription form is complete you will be able to check out and pay for your medicine.
- Step 4: on the original prescription, write order number and phone number and mail the original to NetPharmacy - 109 Parnell Road, Parnell, Auckland 1052 (by law the original is required prior to us sending the order).
There is NZD$4.95 postage and handling fee on top of the prescription fee. Prescriptions are exempt from our freight free policy.
Once we have received your original prescription, we will contact you to confirm the receipt. Please make sure you provide your day contact number. It generally takes about 5 working days for the time it takes for your prescription to arrive in the mail and for us to dispense it and courier it to you. Any urgent request must be communicated beforehand.
- What if I have repeat prescriptions?Simply place a prescription order and email us on email@example.com with your order number and your full name. E-mail title should be "Repeat prescription". If you do not remember what to repeat, call our pharmacist on (09)3734485.
- What do I need to know about prescription medicines? New Zealand law requires us to receive an original prescription from a New Zealand registered Medical Practitioner before we can dispense prescription medicines. New Zealand pharmacies are prohibited from supplying prescription medicines to overseas.
- Can I return prescription medicine for a refund? No. Due to New Zealand Health regulation, medicines cannot be returned for credit. This is because once the product has left the pharmacy, the storage conditions of the product cannot be guaranteed and also it is possible the product could be tampered with.
If you have any questions, please fill the form on the contact us page and our customer service team will contact you immediately. The pricings are available below.
BELOW IS OUR PRESCRIPTION MEDICINE LIST:
- Avigra 100mg 4 Tablets
- Avigra 100mg 12 Tablets
- Cialis 10mg 4 Tablets
- Cialist 10mg 8 Tablets
- Cialis 20mg 4 Tablets
- Cialist 20 mg 8 Tablets
- Cialis 5mg 28 Tablets
- Duromine 15mg 30 Tablets
- Duromine 30mg 30 Tablets
- Finasteride 5mg 30 Tablets (REX)
- Levitra 10mg 4 Tablets
- Levitra 20mg 4 Tablets
- Melorex 15mg 30 Tablets
- Melorex 7.5g 30 Tablets
- Mobic 7.5mg 30 Tablets
- Propecia 1mg 28 Tablets
- Proscar 5mg 30 Tablets
- Yasmin 84 Tablets
- Silvasta 100mg 4 Tablets
- Yasmin 168 Tablets
If your prescription product is not listed here, please contact us and our customer service team will be able to assist your further with your request.
ECP (Emergency Contraceptive)
If you have had unprotected sex or think that your contraception may have failed, taking emergency contraception will usually prevent a pregnancy.
The ECP is sometimes known as the "morning after pill" however can be used up to 72 hours after unprotected sex. It efficacy rate does decrease however for each 24 hour delay. Thus the sooner it is taken after unprotected sex the more effective it will be.
HOW DOES THE PILL WORK?
The ECP a progesterone only pill prevents pregnancy in two ways:
- Preventing the passage of sperm through a womans genital system
- Delaying the release of an egg from the ovary until sperm are no longer active
Our trained pharmacists are available in store only for consultation for the ECP.
Trimethoprim for Cystitis/Urinary tract infections
Symptoms of cystitis
Cystitis is an infection of the bladder and passage that carries the urine from the body. Cystitis will usually cause two or more of these symptoms:
- Pain or burning when passing urine
- Needing to urinate often
- Needing to urinate urgently (without much warning)
- Discomfort just above the pubic area
If you have any of the following symptoms, see your doctor:
- Fever or a hot/cold feeling
- Vomiting or feeling like you are going to vomit
- Pain on the sides of the lower back (over the kidney area)
- Feeling particularly unwell
These are symptoms of a kidney infection and need treatment from a doctor.
If you have vaginal symptoms such as itch or discharge, talk to your pharmacist or doctor, as you may not have cystitis. Vaginal itching / irritation or vaginal discharge may be a sign of a fungal infection or a sexually transmitted infection. If you think you are at risk of a sexually transmitted infection e.g. chlamydia or genital herpes, see your doctor to get the right treatment promptly.
If you have cystitis and any of the following apply, you need to see a doctor:
- You are a male
- You are under 16 years old or over 65 years old
- You are pregnant or might be pregnant
- You have had more than three cases of cystitis in the last year (12 months)
- You have had cystitis in the last 2 weeks (apart from this instance)
- You have kidney problems, including kidney stones
- Your urinary tract (passageway for urine) is not normal or you have a catheter
- You have a spinal cord injury
- You have diabetes
- Your immune system doesn’t work properly
TREATMENT OF CYSTITIS
Cystitis can often come right on its own, but antibiotics will help this happen faster. If you have mild symptoms you may be able to drink plenty of water and avoid the need for antibiotics. Discuss the best option for you with your pharmacist or doctor.
Your pharmacist or doctor can also recommend sachets that you mix into water and drink to make your urine less acidic, which means less pain when you urinate (pass urine).
Anyone with symptoms of cystitis should drink plenty of water.
Our trained pharmacists are available in store only for consultation for the ECP.