Blood pressure is the pressure that results when the heart is pumping blood into the arteries and the blood pushes against the arterial walls. Normal blood pressure readings are from 110/70 to 140/90 whereas pre-hypertensive reading is 160/90.Read more about Blood Pressure.
Conscious of your blood pressure? You should be. Monitoring your blood pressure with the aid of devices is one big step in the prevention of Hypertension, also known as High Blood Pressure.
You might ask, what is Hypertension? Hypertension is condition wherein the blood pressure reading is abnormally high. Hypertension symptoms include occurrence of severe headaches, lack or shortness of breath and even nosebleeds.
It may be Primary Hypertension or Secondary Hypertension. Primary Hypertension causes are daily stressors and lifestyle factors such as drug abuse, cigarette smoking, obesity or being overweight, stress, intake of high sodium foods and excessive consumption of tea and coffee. That is why it is always recommended to take in things in moderation. Anything in excess may be bad for your health.
Secondary Hypertension is often a result of another underlying disease. Therefore, it is best to consult with your doctor.
Hypertension Treatment and Nutritional Management
Worry not! You can manage Hypertension with the proper diet rich in nutrients and minerals like magnesium. Calcium and magnesium are found to have a preventive effect against high blood pressure. Bioceuticals CardioNutrients Forte 60 CapsulesL carnitine, responsible for transporting long chain fatty acids, helps prevent heart disease. Coenzyme Q10 also assists in heart functions and facilitates lower blood pressure. Multivitamins and mineral complex aid in maintaining balance in the body. Essential fatty acids from blackcurrant seed oil, flaxseed oil, primrose oil and olive oil, are beneficial for good circulation. Herbs like hawthorn berries may also help in treating Hypertension. Garlic (kyolic) is also effective in lowering blood pressure.
Now, here are some helpful tips on how to manage Hypertension you can follow.
- Consume high magnesium or high calcium foods. If necessary, add calcium or magnesium supplementation.
- Eat a high fiber diet, including oat bran.
- Avoid foods with high sodium or salt content. If possible, consume only those free of food additives, preservatives and MSG (monosodium glutamate).
- Take in at least 2 tablespoons of flaxseed oil per day.
- Drink fresh healthy juices made from carrot, celery, cranberry, or watermelon. Cranberry juice may be beneficial for those suffering from high blood pressure.
- Avoid alcohol, tobacco and foods high in caffeine.
- Maintain a healthy body weight.
- Be sure to get regular physical activity, even light to moderate exercise.
- Try to get a decent amount of sleep. If you are having troubles with falling asleep, try 5HTP supplements, tart cherry juice or the like.
- Adopt Hypertension diet like the DASH diet.
Shop for a wide range of Blood Pressure supplements and vitamins on NetPharmacy NZ at discounted prices.